Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A New Perspective on Horror Movies

We have a small herd of sneaky, sneaky deer in my neighborhood. The stealth deer come in and mow down my cilantro, my lettuce, or whatever tender green shoots I have growing.

They tipped me over the edge when they mowed down my corn about 10 days before harvest. Two. years. in. a. row.

So this year I pulled out the big guns. I ordered this special stuff I discovered at Johnny's Selected Seeds when I visited Maine. When I first saw it, I didn't want to fly with the stuff. (Can you imagine taking that through security?) Remembered the name, so I could order it.

Product was ordered this year, and I opened the green bottle a couple of weeks ago. As I began to spray around, I thought I should look at the label in case my 3-year-old got curious and played with it. (Goodness knows, it stunk to high heaven.)

Well, it had an active ingredient. It contains 3% porcine blood. That's right folks, I paid good money for pig blood. In a vegetable oil solution.

Remember when they collected the pig blood in the movie Carrie? I truly do not know how they could not retch the entire time. Seriously. The 3% blood and oil solution makes my stomach do some flips as I spray. How could they have a huge bucket of the stuff and no one noticed?

Carrie is now ruined forever. I just won't be able to suspend belief.

2 comments:

~e said...

That's just gross.
This is why I let other people garden, and enjoy the fruits of THEIR labor. I much prefer my annual method of 1) buy seedlings, 2) invest effort for 3-4 weeks, 3)take other people's home-growns.

Always Around Kids said...

And we're only three weeks away from that point! ;)

Seriously though, there's a strawberry farm just south of us that does pick-your-own. Are you interested in picking and then putting up some jam/syrup together?