Friday, February 29, 2008

Stocking up before the harvest...

I have been gardening for a few years now-- perhaps six, maybe seven. It's been fun to go from container gardening (well, drowning) tomatoes on our apartment balcony to full-blown gardening in raised beds.

One of my biggest problems in the last two years has been keeping up with the harvest as it comes in. I've had a few (okay, maybe more than a few) bowls full of peas, tomatoes, etc. that have spoiled on our counter.

I was inspired by Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle to do more preserving. I've gone from taking six hours to make six pint jars of salsa to getting twelve pints of tomatoes preserved in two hours.

It was in that spirit that I made a book order tonight. I'm a few weeks out from a ten day road trip to Florida (four days in a minivan, folks-- I NEED some pages to turn while I listen to the Cars-Madagascar-Bob the Builder marathon). My reading list includes Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto, Carlo Petrini's Slow Food Nation: Why Our Food Should Be Good, Clean, and Fair, and Alice Water's The Art of Simple Food: Notes, Lessons, and Recipes from a Delicious Revolution.

My hope is to be even more inspired to put up my fresh produce.

No comments: